The Fourth of July is BBQ time, but the high heat of the grill breaks down the THC in sauces and marinades. Solution? These adult-only condiments for your potatoes, burgers, steaks and other dipping needs are flavourful, easy to make and, best of all, freeze really well so that you’ll have leftovers on hand for the rest of the summer months. Both recipes are best if prepped the night before and stored in the fridge.
Speedy, Spicy, Sticky Icky Ketchup
- 3 cans tomato paste
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 4 tbsps curry powder
- 3 tbsps THC-infused canola oil (see below)
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 tbsps molasses
- 1 tsps sea salt
- 1 tsps dried mustard powder
- 1 cup of water
- Put the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend well.
- Store sauce in an air-tight containe in the fridge for at least two hours, but preferably overnight before serving.
Yield: 4 cups
Bhang BBQ Sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- Juice from 3 limes
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsps chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsps THC-infused canola oil (see below)
- In a large saucepan on low heat, saute the onions and garlic with the canola oil until the onions (about ten minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the THC-infused oil and simmer, uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Whisk in THC-infused oil.
- Remove from heat. Let cool. If you prefer very smooth (i.e., commercial) BBQ sauce, run through a blender or food processor. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
Yield: 6 cups
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e., no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing THC oil: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24 hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth or fine strainer into a mason jar. Store in the fridge.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added