Although this recipe, inspired by that found in Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cookery, for THC-infused butter chicken requires planning ahead, the steps are very simple and make for a creamy and rich dish that you can both take as an impressive contribution to a social event and divide into smaller portions to freeze for convenient comfort food on rainy days in the future. Serve with basmati rice, naan bread or both! Serves 4 to 6.
Chicken (the day before or morning before)
2.5 lbs chicken pieces (thighs will be tastier/fattier)1 tsp salt
Juice of 1 lime
15 oz plain, full-fat yogurt
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
½ fresh green chili pepper, seeded and sliced
2 tsp garam masala (make this spice blend yourself for the fullest flavour)
4 tbsp tomato paste
Enough water to make 1 cup when mixed with tomato paste
1” fresh ginger, peeled and grated
10oz heavy cream
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 fresh green chili, seeded and finely chopped
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup THC-infused butter (see below)
- Arrange the chicken pieces on a platter and sprinkle with lime juice and salt (on both sides of meat). Let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Using a food processor or blender, blend the yogurt, garlic, ginger, chili and garam masala to a paste.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken pieces, the lime juice and the blended sauce. Cover and refrigerate for between 6 and 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Arrange the chicken pieces in one layer on a lined baking pan with sides. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, combine tomato paste and water with a whisk. Add remaining sauce ingredients except for the butter and mix well.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt unsalted butter. Add the sauce. Bring to a simmer and stir until well mixed. Add the chicken and stir until they chicken is heated through.
- Immediately before serving, add the THC-infused butter and mix well.
How to Make THC-Infused Oils:
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e. no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing the THC oil called for in all recipes: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. If you are using butter, add 2 tbsps water. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth into a mason jar. Store in the fridge. For butter, let sit in the refrigerator for an hour to let the fat and oil separate and then scrape off the butter.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added