This hearty, flavorful contribution to the Super Bowl Potluck will make you feel less awkward as a vegetarian at the big game celebration when meat-lovers’ pizzas, wings and ribs are piled high on the table. Although you can cut the cost of the recipe by subbing out generic cheese, it’s really the gouda that makes this pie so yummy. The earthy taste of spinach masks the marijuana flavor well, so be sure to label your dish clearly as containing THC.
Yield: 6 generous servings
- 1 9 inch pie crust (I buy frozen. It’s expensive, but reduces on tears from damaging the crust)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cup gruyere
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp THC-infused butter
- 1 pkg. frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pepper
Note: Usually, I would add salt to a dish like this, but the ricotta has a lot of sodium in it already.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit
- Roll pie crust onto pie pan pricking with a fork two or three times. When oven is hot, bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the onions in 3 tbsp butter until translucent.
- Add spinach, garlic and pepper. Cook for another three to four minutes. Remove from heat. Add THC-infused butter and mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg whites together. Add milk, ricotta and 1 cup of gruyere. Mix. Add cooked veggies.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie shell. Sprinkle remain ¼ cup of cheese on top.
- Bake for 1 hour (or until solid).
Serve hot or cold.
How to Make THC-Infused Oils
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e. no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing the THC oil called for in all recipes: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. If you are using butter, add 2 tbsps water. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth into a mason jar. Store in the fridge. For butter, let sit in the refrigerator for an hour to let the fat and oil separate and then scrape off the butter.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added