My two least favourite things about camping are the morning hangovers and washing dishes while hunched over a basin. This breakfast cookie recipe, adapted from Magnus Nilsson’s recipe for Skåne Pepparkaka in The Nordic Cookbook, is a simple cure for both. Served with a mature, salty cheese and strong coffee they offer some much needed protein, fat, and THC to beat a headache without also creating a pile of dirty frying pans that will give you a backache.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 5 tbsps THC-infused butter (see below)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3.5 tbsps milk
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 3.25 cups pastry flour
- pinch of salt
- 6 oz. manchego cheese (or another dry, salty variety)
- Combine sugar, molasses, butter, salt and spices in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until well-blended.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add milk. Stir continuously until almost room temperature (about ten minutes).
- Add egg and mix until well-blended.
- In a stand-up mixer, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Add liquids and beat until just combined, no longer.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and create 1.5 inch balls by rolling the dough in your hands. It’s quite sticky!
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes or until they start to brown along the edges. Press down HARD with a spatula on each cookie immediately after removing from the oven.
- Cool on the baking sheet and then transfer to an airtight container for storage of up to one week.
- Serve with a slice of cheese and a large cup of coffee.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e., no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing THC oil: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24 hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth or fine strainer into a mason jar. Store in the fridge.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added