Over my five summertime stays in Italy, I’ve learnt that the best gelato shoppes will only have a beige-coloured banana flavour – which makes sense since only the skin of a banana is bright! I’ve been reliving those warm evenings on the piazza by making this simple variation of one-ingredient banana ice cream (it has more ingredients!) with friends on the back porch. It takes some ahead planning (4 hours at least), but is well worth it.
- 4 ripe, frozen bananas
- ¼ cup 15% cream
- 2 tbsp THC-infused butter (see below)
- 2 tbsp honey
- roasted pecans (optional)
- A few hours beforehand, warm the cream over low heat. Add the cannabutter, whisk, and let cool. Return to fridge to chill.
- Remove bananas from freezer and run under warm water for about a minute. Peel away the skin and slice the fruit into ½ inch slices.
- Food process the bananas. Just keep going until they have the consistency of ice cream. This will take at least 90 seconds. Scrap the sides of the bowl with a spatula midway through.
- Add honey and canabutter (and pecans). Pulse two or three times.
- Press the now somewhat defrosted ice cream into a pan or serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer for at least an hour.
- Serve with an ice cream scoop and eat immediately.
Extra portions will last in the freezer, but crystals will accumulate until it will be more of a banana popsicle than an ice cream.
Yield: 4 generous servings of a moderate potency
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e., no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing THC oil: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth or fine strainer into a mason jar. Store in the fridge.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added