There is still a lot of stigma associated with marijuana consumption even though its myriad of health benefits are well documented. An easy way to avoid judgement and criticism from the ignorant is edibles. I am especially fond of this particular (and vegan) recipe for a delicious and nutritious granola when travelling on buses, trains and aeroplanes. It pairs wonderfully with yogurt, if you happen to be an avid-eater of animal products (like myself).
1 cup whole, raw almonds
½ cup raw walnut halves or pieces
1 1/3 cup of rolled oats
2/3 cup dried berries (my favourite is blueberries, but cherries and cranberries are also great)
½ cup raw pepita (pumpkin) seeds
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup and 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¼ cup melted THC-infused coconut oil (see below for preparation)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees fahrenheit and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place ½ cup of almonds in the food processor and chop until you have a fine meal (alternatively, you can purchase almond meal pre-made). Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the food processor, combine the remaining almonds and all the walnuts and process for about 5 seconds (until finely chopped). You should have both larger pieces and some powder. Add to the large bowl with the almond meal.
- Add the oats, dried fruit, seeds, coconut, cinnamon and salt to the same bowl and stir to combine.
- Add maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- With a spatula, spread the granola mixture into a ½ inch layer on the prepared baking sheet and press down gently to make it more compact. Bake for 20 minutes. Rotate the pan. Bake for another 20 minutes or until the mixture is a light, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool the granola in the pan for at least an hour before breaking into clusters.
6 cups or 18 1/3 cup servings
This granola can be stored in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to three weeks. You can also freeze it for up to five weeks.
Nutritional Information (per 1/3 cup serving)
Calories: 150; Carbohydrates: 9.6g; Protein: 2.1g; Fat: 11.8g
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e., no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing THC oil: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheese cloth or fine strainer into a mason jar. Store in the fridge.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added.