These coconut muffins are a dense but moist delight that use the wonderful power of mango (or rather the chemical compound myrcene terpenes contained in the tropical fruit) to amplify the effects of THC and help it traverse the blood-brain barrier more efficiently. Be sure to have the egg and coconut oil at room temperature when you begin or the batter will be very, very difficult to stir.
- 1/2 cup less 3 tbsps coconut oil
- 3 tbsps THC-infused coconut oil (see below)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large mango, with flesh diced
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided in ½ cup and ¼ cup
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with papers.
- In a small saucepan, warm both coconut oils until just barely melted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk, diced mango and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups then sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Should you not be able to fill all 12 muffin wells, remove the paper liner and add an inch of water to the empty ones. This will keep your tray from staining and your muffins nice and moist.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out batter-free. Remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Yield: 10 to 12 muffins of considerable potency
How to Make THC-Infused Oils:
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e. no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing the THC oil called for in all recipes: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. If you are using butter, add 2 tbsps water. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth into a mason jar. Store in the fridge. For butter, let sit in the refrigerator for an hour to let the fat and oil separate and then scrape off the butter.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added